Made from tomatoes, vinegar and sugar, ketchup is one of the most popular condiments used to accompany our dishes. With just the right balance between sweetness and acidity, ketchup can be combined with a plethora of popular dishes: fries, hamburgers, hot dogs. Mastari offers you a recipe for delicious homemade ketchup spiced up with chilli pepper.
Ingredients (for a 75cl jar)
- 1kg ripe tomatoes
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 10cl cider vinegar
- 70g cane sugar
- salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp MASTARI Habanera sauce (or hot sauce)
- 2 cloves
- Wash and dry the tomatoes, then dice.
- Peel and chop the garlic and onion.
- Place the tomatoes, onion and garlic in a saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat for about 30 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Pass the mixture through a food mill to obtain a tomato purée, then pour back into the saucepan.
- Add the cider vinegar and spices (salt, pepper, cloves). Simmer over low heat for 45 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the MASTARI Habanera sauce (or other hot sauce) and cane sugar, and simmer for a further 20 minutes.
- Once your sauce is ready, pour into your pasteurized jar. Leave to cool, then close the jar.
- You can store your ketchup in the fridge for up to 2 months.
You can also add other spices, such as cumin, star anise, cardamom or cinnamon, to vary the flavour! Bon appétit!